08 May 2006

"Thank You"

So I'm sitting in sacrament meeting on Fast & Testimony Sunday with that Holy Ghost lump in my throat that's telling me I have something to share today. I should've known better. Sometimes on that ever-important day I don't feel the spirit telling me to share. But this last Sunday I did. And if you ever have that feeling and DON'T act on it... While I listened to some little ones bare theirs, "I'd like to bare my testimony, I know the church is true..." yada yada (I know that might be blasphemous but I just wish their parents would teach them another way to start out.), I searched my soul for the things I thought I should share. #1 Worked out at the gym this month --- no, that's not it. #2 Finally called landscapers to bid our backyard --- no, that's not it either. #3 Survived having my MIL and 3 SIL's stay with me and go to Women's Conference without killing anyone --- nope. #4 Helped a non-English-speaking lady at the temple dial a number only to find out it's long distance from Provo to SLC (I don't speak Spanish) --- no, certainly not it. #5 Am realizing that I'm learning more than I'm teaching in my 16-19 year old Sunday School class --- sure, that's a good one, but not the clencher. Then I figure that it must be what I've been repenting of recently. Anyone who comes into contact with me (notice I didn't say anyone who KNOWS me; because it's more than the people who know me) has witnessed my prideful demeanor. I don't mean it in a mean or snotty way, but when something I've done is good I realize that and say, "Yeah, that WAS good" instead of saying Thank You. I'm not very good with saying Thanks. So I get up there and here's pretty much how it went... "I am here as part of the repentance process. {eyes get big across the chapel as you can see the wheels turning in everyone's head trying to figure out what it might be} I have a problem that I'm working on. When someone compliments to me on the beauty of my kids I say, "I know." Same with crafts I make or pictures I take, "I know." I thought that being proud of something I've accomplished is a good thing, but I'm finding that there is a place for pride and a place for humility in regards to the talents we have been given from Him upstairs. So lately I've been trying to say "Thank You" when paid a compliment and feel the humblness come over me more and more each time I say it. My testimony is of the gifts we receive from Heavenly Father in ways of talents and without those where would I be? I love to do things creatively and really hope they bring joy to others. So I am here to say "Thank You" to Heavenly Father for the talents he's given me and I pray that I use them for good." Then, without stopping to think about what was going to come out of my mouth next, I said... "And I made the gorgeous blanket the baby was blessed in today. Oops, that was prideful again, wasn't it? Well, I'm still working on it." Amen.

5 comments:

~j. said...

Good for you. Getting up to speak is the only way to get rid of that nauseating pull of the spirit.

Carina said...

I loved this.

LuckyRedHen said...

Thanks.

Sister Pottymouth said...

You are hilarious! That was as good as when I swore at Girls' Camp testimony meeting. (I told them that sometimes life is shitty.) So maybe I need to get up and repent next F&T meeting. Then I'll close with, "I feel a helluva lot better now."

LuckyRedHen said...

My hubby served his mish down south where they'd frequently testify of seeing UFO's. I think "helluva" would be less concerning as alien truth.