20 February 2009

WPPI 09 - Las Vegas, baby!

Phew!
I'm back from Vegas but my body is behaving like it hasn't left.
Five days of late nights (interpreted as early mornings, like 4am early mornings), walking miles and miles and miles... to and from the conference center, the drinking water drought (I'm deathly afraid of the disease-ridden water fountains, the bottled water started at $3 and waitresses and bartenders looked at me like I was a cyclopse when I asked for a water), cigarette-saturated breathing air (cough cough hack choke) and trying to dance like I was still 25 :p
Last year's smoke inhalation didn't seem as bad as this time. And I didn't get over to my favorite restaurant, Mon Amie Gabi, like I wanted to (it's a taxi ride from our hotel). I didn't do any shooting this year either, even though I brought my pro camera. And I certainly didn't arrive in Vegas the way I did last time either (too cold and far)! But I did see some of my friends this time that I did last time :)
With all that misery, I can't wait to go back to be inspired, learn-ed (gotta say it like you see it... learn Ed), networked (I love knowing other great photographers from around the world) and reconnected with friends (and meeting new one's)! Fingers crossed for next year (when it's NOT on Valentine's Day weekend... geez!)
Laurel McConnell & DJ Karl: They're from Seattle. Laurel kept me plugged in to the goings-on (and we kept each other from falling asleep during presentation). And Karl, what can I say about Karl... he's infectuous with his friendly smile and happiness :)
Alison Bates (Nate's girlfriend - wink): She and I met at the Jose Villa Mexico '07 Workshop and I love her (mostly because she's Nate's girlfriend, haha)
Brian Adams; photographer, gentleman & Edit Team guru (I think that's his title) whom I met at my first WPPI trip (thankfully, because I could dance and not worry about him expecting more - wink) Mark Edgington (OSP West in San Louis Obispo '07) had me laughing whenever we were in the same room (even from ACROSS the room) or sitting at the restaurant making fun of Trevor and his hand gestures (oh, I cried it was so funny). This pic was taken our last day right before he took off :( Brian Greenberg of Richard Photo Lab Look at him pull off that hat with his blue eyes! I kept calling him "Richard" in Mexico, where we met, only because it irritated him so much. But, luckily, he has forgiven me enough to invite me to his swanky party that had great people and yummy food... thanks, Brian! My BUDDY'S, Colin Michael (BFAM) and Aimee Cooper at the cool Peppermill Lounge OFF the strip (like FAR off). Hey, look! It's Colin again! My brotha from anotha motha (BFAM)! This is David Burke (with an E) and my maiden name is withOUT an E (Burk). Congrat's on the upcoming baby E :) Dennis Orchard, amazing photographer and print judge from England. He's given me valuable print advice. I haven't entered a print competition yet, but might someday. Ed & Monica Pingol family ;) They were always smiling :D The hunks who make up Edit Team. Troy Battle on the left (he's my kindred spirit - laughed ALL the time), Darren Green & Brian Adams (again, lucky me). Thanks, guys, for the prize I won (free editing)! Now I can start shooting again ;) My neighbors (they're in Redmond, I'm in Woodinville), Gerald and Airika Pope at the Trade Show right before I dragged them over to an impressive album company, ImageCapsule.com, who has waterproof (hello Seattle) albums that are sturdy, don't warp and 3-day turn around! My friend, Jason Groupp, from NY (could you tell?), who humors me to no end. He had me going in 2007 at OSP West with a joke about a bus stop. HILARIOUS! My southern sister, Jeanann Wilkinson, who I met in Mexico and had lively discussion about one of the 3 taboo's (religion). Wish we could've hung out more this year :( Next time ;) Oh, my, gosh! I can't say enough about this tiny thing. It's Jillian Kay of the famous "Dear Silly Lady" fame ;) She may be small, but she sure does pack a punch! Sure love ya, JK! Oh, and LOVED your story about the candy necklace :D Birthday boy, Joel Serrato, at the Venetian restaurant, Canaletto, for the Richard Photo Lab party. He makes me laugh with his pursed lips ;) The godfather of shooting outside the box, John Michael Cooper of AltF fame. We met awkwardly a couple years ago at OSPW 1. I ran up to him and gave him a huge hug (he's not used to that), and he looked at me like I was crazy. But I've grown on him over the years and he was all ready this time to accept my neglect to respect his personal space! Yay, John :D Here's another Jon. Jonathan Canlas of Film is Not Dead. He likes to eat faces. I guess mine is yummy. Mmm. This is my beautiful friend, Jose Villa. That's really all I can say without tearing up over this fella. DJ Karl Berger, from Seattle. We were all sweaty from dancing at the Gobee Bag party at the Luxor. The ever lovely Lacie Hansen who works with Jose Villa. She shoots, she models, she assists, she rocks ;D Me with Laurel McConnell. She makes me laugh and I like being around her. Look at how CUTE she is! Linda Chaja (chai-ya) and I at the Venetian. She's smiling because she likes being near me ;) Oh geez, this should be at the top (one of the first pics taken), but it's tricky to do without losing all my stuff! Me with Mark Edgington at a restaurant at 330am. I'm surprised my eyes don't look worse after laughing so hard we cried at Trevor Meeks and his hand gestures! I met Tara Marie at Robin's mini-session pool side (We Doodle Do Album Design). She's sweet and from TEXAS (I heart TX)! Me and Simone Germaine Sutton on our last day LOOKING like it's our last day LOL! Exhausted! Awe, this is THE sweetest guy at WPPI (no offense to the other guys, but he's really so gentle). His landscape images are unbelievable (really, it's like I don't believe they're real) and he also has a royalty-free music site that's great for websites, slideshows and background music in your studio! It's Shawn Reeder and I'm glad I know him :) Oh. My. Goodness. This is the ever popular (and shrunken head miniature girl) Roxanne Benton of Pixel 2 Canvas! We finally got to smooch all over each other after years of chatting online (sounds creepy, but it isn't). Their canvas' ROCK and their DUCKS rock just as much (but not more). Oh, Roxie, I miss you already (and smooch yo man from me)! Me with Riley Kimball (A+R Photography in Arizona). You may remember him from when I went to OSPW 1. He was a pleasant surprise. I wasn't expecting to see him! Troy Battle (also from Edit Team)... we kept each other laughing! We know each other from OSP (online photography forum), so it was fun meeting in person, finally. See ya next time! Trevor Meeks, of Meeks Digital, who I also know from the photography forum and OSPW 1. He's a good sport to put up with my joking. Great hand gestures, Meeks! :p Oh my Tomas Flint from Rochacha, NY! I LOVED running into him in the halls of the MGM Grand (you're the BEST, Tom). He won't read what's on his belt buckle ;) OSP peeps: Ed & Monica Pingol, Tim Co., Katie Pangburn and yours truly at the WPPI 09 Trade Show floor! Me with the Halberg's, Tim and Cheryl in the longest hallway known to man (or woman).

9 comments:

Bridge said...

I'm pretty sure you know more people in Vegas than I know in my life! Good to see you're posting again...and dare I say looking fabulous!

LuckyRedHen said...

Here's the thing though, there were 10,000 photographers there, so I was BOUND to know one or two ;) Thanks for the compliment!

Anonymous said...

Awe shucks, you called me cute! I heart LRH. I keep finding these funny little chicken stickers stuck on the butt of my pants, what's that about?! I had so much fun this year, Shannon, so glad we could hang out as much as we did!!! Vegas baby! Yeah! And I hear ya about the air, every time I open my mouth to say something, a man's voice comes out!

Jillian Kay said...

you're so cute :) i miss you!! why do we live so far away??? you need to promptly forget that story, LOL. To all Shannon's potential clients: this woman seriously rocks, as both a photographer and seriously amazing person to hang out with! MWHA!

Anonymous said...

You and your face are lookin' fine, girl!

Geo said...

That was a great Lucky fix. Thanks!

luckyzmom said...

You absolutely look marvelous darling! Glad you had such a great time. See you soon!!!!!

Anonymous said...

There's a shot missing ... the one of you and me! ;) Next year, right?!!

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading your blog. Keep it that way.