25 September 2008

Quick Recipe: Limon Blanco Chili

This recipe was our winner last fall at the church event. Honestly, I was surprised that a vegetarian dish would appeal to so many non-vegetarians! But it was as if nobody missed the meat! It's absolutely delicious and filling! I'm not sure why I keep YELLING by adding an exclamation mark, but I guess I mean it! Rumor (which might've started with me, so there's no scientific evidence) has it that rinsing canned beans diminishes the gassy effect ;) Limon Blanco Chili by Lyn Nelson 1 medium onion, chopped 1 Tbsp olive oil 1 - 15 to 16 oz can hominy, rinsed and drained 1 - 15 to 16 oz can kidney beans, rinsed and drained 1 - 15 to 16 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained 3 cups broth (veggie or chicken) 1/4 cup lime juice (imperative, don't skip it) 2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro (imperative, don't skip this either) 1/4 tsp ground cumin 1/4 tsp ground black pepper In a large saucepan cook onion in hot oil over medium heat for 3 minutes. Stir in hominy, beans, broth, lime juice, cilantro, cumin and pepper. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally. Serve topped with shredded cheese, green salsa and sour cream. See how quick & easy that is?!?

4 comments:

ashley said...

good reminder...I've passed that recipe on lots! I have everything I need to make this right now...maybe I will :)

Britanny said...

It is the best thing that has happened to Chili since cheese--maybe. I LOVE IT!!! Tastes so fresh, and who doesn't love pouring cans of stuff into a pot and getting a tasty meal?

Heather Jarvis said...

Hey Lucky,
I'm not into cooking, but I wanted to comment...
A person could get lost all day in your blog and links.
I just saw all of the comments you made on my blog; you're funny--uncooked book birds.

Really, you're my blogging idol.

luckyzmom said...

This sounds fabulous and I intend to give it a try soon.