01 September 2007

Fluffy vs. Fat vs. Obese

Read this before moving on to today's post. Did you REALLY read the link? I'll take your word for it. Read on. My theory for the overweight issues in America are the chemically and hormonally enhanced foods we eat in conjunction with more TV watching slash computer time slash game playing. Theory talk over. Storytime... When I went in for my OB check-up five years ago, I went through the standard riggamaroll of temperature, weight and blood pressure tests. Temperature, good. Weight, obese. Blood pressure, good. Um, OBESE, (I freak)? Technically, yes. Are you SURE? I mean, I know I'm fluffy, you could even say fat, but OBESE? Yes, you are obese. But don't worry about it. Um, don't WORRY about it, you say? I sure as h E double hockey sticks WILL worry about it (not enough to go on a diet or exercise, of course hahaha). I'm 5'9, big boned (seriously, that's not an excuse) and muscular (muscular also includes being well endowed despite a bilateral reduction mammoplasty in '94). My waist curves IN instead of out; which, in my opinion, is when you move from fluffy to fat (for crying out loud, nobody get mad at me because your waist curves out instead of in and you don't call yourself fat, I'm just sayin'). I'm wondering who came up with the measuring system that determines obesity, based on height and weight alone. I wanna knock them on the head (not hard enough to hurt them, just enough to get their attention). P.S. I should've been saying "over-weight" in place of "fat" throughout this post, but I'm too busy to go back and change that.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

i love this post. at my OB office in rexburg, there was a sign that read 'ewes not fat, ewes fluffy' and obviously there was a cross stitched sheep on it. i've always remembered that. i've stopped saying that i fight my weight. that's wrong. i fight food. constantly. you should see what i ate today. yeah, i went to a class at the gym but i WAY over ate the calories i burned and tah dah. there is the answer to our national obesity dilemma. you put in more than you put out and you'll put it on. soooo sad. that entire bag of smart food white cheddar popcorn was so good.

La Yen said...

I agree. I am on the border between overweight and obese (on the lesser side, at least today). I hide it really really well--it just lives in my belly. The worst place. I am always fighting it, but some days not very well. It is very frustrating to me to be told that I am just fine, or don't need to diet (usually by people who are much bigger than me)because then I have to go into why I DO need to fight it. Do they really need to see the rolls? Do they really need to know I've gained 50 pounds in 10 1/2 years? Just take my word for it and encourage me--don't bring me a candy bar because you don't believe me.

And I am TOTALLY moving to Alabama because I will be the hottest mama there.

Carina said...

I like your definition. Even when I was a size 8, by weight I was considered overweight. That's muscle for you.

If the height/weight thing doesn't figure the percentage of muscle to fat, etc., then it's simply not valid.
I'm currently in a weight loss portion of my life. I'm learning to be patient with my body and give it all the tools it needs to make itself work.

Carina said...

p.s. I love that picture of you.

luckyzmom said...

Hey skinny, where did you get that cool Tshirt?

Geo said...

If you are obese, why am I stealing your picture for my desktop in true stalker-fashion?

I say you are Aphrodite. Haven't those people ever heard of voluptuous?

Having grown up in the Deep South, I have been eyewitness to the kind of horrible obesity that gets Alabama the prize. You do not belong in that category. It's a very black-and-white system that's currently being used to "rate" our bodies, a discouraging one.

(You look totally gorg. And I dig your new shirt!)

b. said...

You are pretty hawt!

carblemarble said...

I agree, the measuring standard is out of wack. How else could I have been 17 (back in the day), in my best shape ever and still 'over weight'. With no account for 'big bones' or being well endowed... Muscle mass does, after all, weigh more than fat... right?