19 May 2006

Dream Dinners

I'm so excited! On Wednesday I went with my friend, Christine, to an open-house for Dream Dinners (this one is located on 8th North in Orem, next to Macy's) not knowing what to expect. What a fabulous concept (there are others out there with different names)! For the open-house, the hostess (Christine's friend) invited about 10 friends to come and make-and-take 1 meal per person (feeds 6) for FREE (about $18 value). They have everything you need at each station with the recipe to follow. You assemble your meal at the station then plop it in your freezer to use within 6 months. We made a Chicken Penne meal that included green onions, capers, herbs, lemon zest and grilled chicken. Christine made it last night and 1/2 of it fed her family of 2 adults and 3 hearty eaters (although they're lean) with plenty left over. I'm excited to go next week to assemble my 13 dinners (you sign up for 12 but you get a free meal if you schedule yours at the open-house). However, these 13 dinners (plus the one I made at the open-house, so a total of 14) will each feed my family on 1/2 the contents so I really have 28 meals for about $9 per meal, or $2.25/person (that's less than drive through). Go to their website and check out the menu. It's all top-notch, high quality, fresh ingredients. I'll let you know how it goes next week after the session (28 meals for my family in 2 hours).

6 comments:

~j. said...

You lost me at "feeds 6 for free ($18)."

Do you invite friends to come with you for your next session?

LuckyRedHen said...

The 1 meal you make at the open house is given to you for FREE ($18 value). Each meal made feeds about 6 people (adult-ish sized portions). We have 2 adults & 2 kidlets (6 & 3) so we're feeding about 3 people per meal instead of 6 giving us double the dinners.

I've added the word "value" to that part because I left it out.

Bek said...

Lucky...

There are a few places like that here, but the prices are different (like every freaking thing else here). It is 25$ for two people and 40$ for 4!! And it is stuff that I would LOVE, but my kids would hate...like Sashimi, lobster, blah, blah, blah...

It doesn't work out to be very cost effective and their target is not families, it is the working group that gets tired of eating out all the time...and this is cheaper for them.....

I love this idea though......

wendysue said...

My sisters and I all went and did this for my sis that had her 5th babe when we were out there visiting. It was quick and easy and everything we had tried was delish. Bek, we did this up in Santa Rosa, I bet you could find one there, or close. . .the one we did was 12 dinners for $215 or something like that. Here are some of the things I remember putting together. Pork tacos, beef shishkabobs, apple dumplings, french onion steaks, chicken senora (kind of like a mexican/chicken dish layered with tortillas like lasagna). Each "dinner" could easily feed a family of 6 plus leftovers. Most places will also give you a little sheet for each dinner with suggestions for side dishes. . .the other nice thing this place did was they had different size storage, so if you just wanted it for 2-3 people you put it in 2 smaller containers so you didn't have to cook up the whole thing and only use half.

QueenScarlett said...

And they make great dinners for when you need to take dinner to someone... piece of cake!

BEK - check out this from the Serrano Sistah's site. There's links to three diff't places. I know they have 'em in the Bay Area. Good luck!

LuckyRedHen said...

Bek, You TOTALLY need something like this for your trip to Africa. Not to take with you but for your family that's staying behind. I hope the Serrano Sistah's site is fruitful.